Microwaves

Growing up my mum always told me to never stand in front of the microwave while it was on! I never really understood why….and I don’t know if she did either. She seemed to think that the microwave emitted something that was not good for us.microwave

I have previously written (here) about the concept of detoxing through reducing the amount of exposure to toxins rather then a process to constantly (and sometimes drastically) remove toxins from the body.

What if the way we are cooking is adding to the problem? We want to eat foods which are organic and free from toxins but is the simple activity of microwaving impacting the quality of what we eat and actually causing toxic change? Maybe my mum was right in some way.

Looking through some of the research it appears that the results show that there is minimal impact to the macro and micro nutrients in the food.

“Overall, the nutritional effects of microwaves on protein, lipid, and minerals appear minimal. There is no report on the effects of microwaves on carbohydrate fraction in foods. A large amount of data is available on the effects of microwaves on vitamins. It is concluded that there are only slight differences between microwave and conventional cooking on vitamin retention in foods. In conclusion, no significant nutritional differences exist between foods prepared by conventional and microwave methods. Any differences reported in the literature are minimal.” Source: The effect of microwaves on nutrient value of foods. Cross GA, Fung GY (PubMed)

However, one simple experiment by a high school student seems to have demonstrated a different result. More info here

microwavedplant

Of course simple experiments such as these are possibly full of errors and variables which have not been considered. But it does make you stop and wonder what those waves are doing to our food…..

I tend to err on the side of caution….not really one to take a lot of risks….so I wonder how I would go not using a microwave…at all?! When I get home from being out and I’m starving and want to quickly zap my dinner in the microwave I won’t be able to. I’ll have to be patient and wait until it heats in the oven! I’m up for the challenge though!

One week. One week of not using my microwave…at all! With a 10 week old baby it’s going to be interesting. Wish me luck!