I recently tried produce from an organic food company and was very happy with the loot I received! The quality was great and it felt good to know that I was eating locally grown and sustainable food.
So it got me thinking…..what really are the pros and cons of organic produce?
Pros of Organic Foods
- Enhancement of soil quality;
- Some research finds that organic foods are richer in certain nutrients;
- Although taste is subjective, there is a school of thought suggesting that organic food is more appealing to the tastebuds;
- Ensures humane treatment of animals;
- Increases land biodiversity;
Cons of Organic Foods
- Generally more expensive;
- Although, there is a greater demand and supply of organic food, it is not as readily available as conventional foods. In saying that, however, big grocery chains are now beginning to stock a wider range of organic foods;
- Organic fruits and vegetables are produced according to the seasons, making it more difficult to purchase a specific food when needed at any time of the year.
Pros of Conventional Foods
- Greater supply all year round;
- Can be purchased at any grocery outlet;
- Readily available.
Cons of Conventional Foods
- Toxic residues;
- Negative effects on the environment;
- Does not have animal welfare at the forefront of its farming methods;
- Some research suggests that conventional fruits and vegetables may not be as rich in nutrients as organic foods;
- Often conventional foods have been stored in cold rooms for many months.